Sunday, April 12, 2015

Chimney Tops ..take one.

The Smoky Mountains! If heaven could manifest on Earth, this is where it would happen! Swear!

I'm a Georgia girl - born, bred, and raised a Dawg. But Tennessee is where the heart's at! From the mountains to the Southern atmosphere, this is where I choose to be - always. If there's an opportunity for that to happen, I'm on it! Hands down. No questions asked. 

This weekend, Jonathan, Mandi and I ventured up to take a stab at the "Chimney Tops" trail. It was fun - it really was! But we did quite a few things wrong, which just means we'll have to do it again to get it right!

For starters, I worked two days before this adventure took place. Now remember I'm not only a nurse, but a critical care nurse. We're busy, lives depend on us, and there are rarely any breaks. So after two-three days, I'm exhausted, dehydrated, and in dire need of sleep. We also didn't prepare food and clothes until the night before (remember I didn't get home until well after 9 to start with). It was after 11 before we climbed into bed and we left home at 6. 

I was tired. dehydrated. and already out of shape.

I knew the hike would be strenuous - many people had said that online. What they failed to mention is that the entire two mile hike is completely, 100% uphill. No pauses. About a quarter into the hike, I began to feel funny - like my head hurt, and my head felt funny, and I began to get nauseous. This only progressed as we climbed. We made it about 3/4th up and I just couldn't go any further. I felt defeated, sick, and like I had let the team down. 

While the hike was unsuccessful, the three of us did have a good time. We saw amazing mountain-top views and finished out the day with brilliantly cooked apple fritters!

4.11.15
Great Smoky Mountains.
Until Next Time Chimney Tops,
V

0 comments:

Post a Comment