Saturday, December 13, 2014

Victoria White, MSN

12.13.14.

Graduation Day!!

Today I graduate from an accelerated master-level nursing program. I began the program in August 2013, a short three months after graduating from the University of Georgia. At that time, I felt prepared to complete the program and confident in my ability to do well. Sixteen months later, I have no idea what I was thinking.

The program was intense and while I knew it was accelerated, I never dreamed it would be as tough as it turned out. The first semester, while we had a lot of down time, was hard because new skills and knowledge was being thrown at you to learn quickly and perfectly. Second semester brought more clinical hours, no free time, several group projects, and applying knowledge with judgement. Third semester was equivalent to the second, except our time was cut in half; this only meant we were busier. The last semester left me feeling confident, but only as a result of spending every waking hour in the hospital. These are the negatives!!

While hard, the program also brought lots of positive outcomes! I have made so many friends through this program - friends I otherwise wouldn't have even met. I've learned so much. I feel prepared to pass NCLEX and confident to safely treat patients. The tough curriculum has given me a sense of accomplishment. To sound totally privileged, this is the first program I've had to work hard to finish. Other courses just required you to do the minimum and complete tasks, but I had to work in this program. More than just course work, I had to treat people and learn those skills as well. It was tough, I won't lie. But I wouldn't have asked for it any other way.


Upon graduation, I feel clinically confident and prepared to take the next step in life and my career. I am proud to announce that I've accepted a position at Emory Healthcare on the same ICU I completed my practicum. I'm so thrilled and excited to see where this journey will lead!

Graduation day just wouldn't be complete without pictures, right?



Peace and Love,
V

0 comments:

Post a Comment