Thursday, October 23, 2014

Nursing Student in the ICU - Month Two

Two months down ... only 50 days until graduation!!!

Since I always keep my promises, here is what I've learned in the last month ..


  1. Restraints break! This may sound elementary, but I didn't know this was possible until a week ago. 
  2. Patients are strong! They are stronger than you. You can get hurt. Protect yourself. Also, refer to number one - patients can break restraints.
  3. Burnout and nurse fatigue are serious and real things y'all. Spend a couple weeks working overtime and/or getting out everyday an hour late while have 3-4 ICU patients - it's hard work and it's exhausting. 
  4. Be sure to take time for yourself and do "normal" things. Watch a movie. Spend time with a friend. Read a book. Have lunch with your mom. Go to a football game. Take a hike. Go to church. Kiss a boy (or a girl, whichever). Shoot guns with your dad. (disclaimer ..this is probably a super redneck, hillbilly thing to do! Also, my pops and I actually haven't made it out there yet, but it's on the agenda.)
  5. Clinical and school do not go together - you will be stressed. Breathe, everything will work out. 
  6. Don't place all your hopes on one hospital. Keep your options open. Explore. Apply everywhere. You'll end up where you're suppose to.
  7. Not everyone will understand that you "work". They will still expect you to have the same free-time as a student. This is not true! You have no free time anymore because all down-time is spent at the hospital. They'll understand soon.
  8. Sedative medications are sent directly from heaven! Seriously, though.
The past month has been relatively tedious. I love my unit but like most other places, we are short staffed. This means that the floor is usually crazy, everyone is burnt out, and no day is smooth. I'm exhausted all the time and can't seem to catch a break. The days keep piling up, the homework piles, the projects and assignments are so super high. I have no doubt that these things will get done, but I'm tired and can't seem to stay well (yay allergies and fall bugs!). 

I'll update again soon my loves!

Peace and Love,
V

0 comments:

Post a Comment